- 5 (10 oz) packages of frozen chopped spinach
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 oz Velvetta cheese
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (for topping)
- Thaw spinach in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Squeeze as much
excess water as possible out of the spinach.
- Heat mulk and spices in 4-quart saucepan on medium heat to just below a
boil (190 degrees). Then reduce heat and simmer.
- Finely chop the onion and saute it in 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat
for 5 to 8 minutes. Add to saucepan. Combine the 5 tablespoons
melted butter with the flour in a small saute pan. (This is the first step
of making a roux, which will thicken the sauce.) Mix until completely
blended. Cook on low heat 3 to 4 minutes to make roux. Add roux
to milk in saucepan and mix well. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Cut the Velveeta, cheddar and Jack cheese into small cubes and add to
saucepan. Continue to mix until all the cheese is cimpletely melted
and blended into the sauce. Be careful not to burn the sauce while the
cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for 15
- Add drained spinach to cheese sauce, mix until completely blended.
Sppon into a 11-by-9-by2-inch or large casserole and top with grated
Monterey Jack cheese. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, until hot and
bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.